Photos By: Sarah Houpt
There are many common misconceptions when it comes to sunscreen. Everyone needs to wear sunscreen daily, no matter their skin tone.
“We know that melanin is protective, but melanin is not perfect [protection],” said Dr. Michelle Henry, a board-certified dermatologist and skin-cancer surgeon, in a video with Business Insider.
“What’s also important is that in darker skin types, there’s often a lower index of suspicion, so we find [skin cancers] later. And because of this, the outcomes can be quite worse.”
Also a fact: Everyone needs to wear sunscreen, even if they’re staying indoors. According to dermatologist Dennis Gross, UV rays pass through both clouds and windows. Because of this, wearing sunscreen every day, no matter what — and reapplying every two hours — is key to preventing skin cancer and maintaining healthy skin. A bonus perk is that wearing sunscreen can level up any skincare routine.
So, now that we’ve established that applying SPF is imperative, it is important to mention that not all sunscreens are created equal. Certain brands are notorious for leaving “white casts,” while others have unattainable price tags. Sometimes, finding the right finish or formula is the issue. The following is an inclusive starter guide to help assist anyone in need on their SPF enlightenment journey.
– Supergoop! PLAY Everyday Lotion or Antioxidant Body Mist SPF 50
· Gentle. For face and body
– Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
· Applies clear & doubles as a makeup primer
– Black Girl Sunscreen SPF 30
· Woman of color-made
– Fenty Skin Hydra Vizor Invisible Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 Sunscreen
· 2-in-1 moisturizer and sunscreen
– Innisfree Daily UV Defense Sunscreen SPF 36
· Hydrating and soothing
– Supergoop! CC Screen 100% Mineral CC Cream SPF 50
· 15 shades
– Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector Broad Spectrum SPF 30
· 20 shades
– MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Crème SPF 30
· Blends into all skin tones
– Dermablend Continuous Correction Tone-Evening CC Cream SPF 50+
· 16 shades
– Supergoop! Shimmershade SPF 30
· Shimmery, cream eyeshadow. Four shades
– Neutrogena Revitalizing Lip Balm with SPF 20
· Tinted. Six shades
– Supergoop! Defense Refresh (Re)Setting Mist
· Set makeup and reapply SPF on the go