Stuffed peppers were a favorite of mine when I was still eating meat. Good news: I can still have them! Quinoa and veggies are a great alternative stuffing for stuffed peppers. Quinoa has more protein and fiber than brown rice, which makes it not only more nutritious but more filling as well. This vegan dinner is packed with Mexican inspired flavors. You can use any color bell pepper. I used yellow bell peppers because they are milder and don’t work against the flavors in the filling. This is a great meal to share and left overs can easily be reheated. Give this favorite dish with a new twist a try!
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- Small tomato
- Can of black beans
- Can of corn
- 6 bell peppers
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- 4 ounce can of green chiles
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tops off of bell peppers and remove seeds.
- Add dry quinoa to one cup of water and bring to a boil. Then cook on low for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Combine cooked quinoa, 1/2 a cup of corn, 1/2 a cup of black beans, small diced tomato, 4 ounces of green chiles, 3 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, teaspoon of cumin, teaspoon of garlic powder and a teaspoon of chili powder in a large bowl.
- Scoop mixture evenly into the 6 seeded bell peppers.
- Place bell peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and cook for 25 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and serve with a lime wedge.
Enjoy with guacamole and chips and a nice margarita for a complete and satisfying meal!