It doesn’t matter how smart we are as customers because too often our optimism toward new skincare products is enough to trick us into burning a hole in our pocket simply to try out the newest serums, scrubs, and lotions. Inevitably, our optimism is met with discouragement when we wake up the next morning with the same dark circles and fine lines as we had before. It seems as though nothing ever really does the trick. What’s the problem? Harsh chemicals and artificial ingredients that most beauty companies don’t plainly reveal to the naked eye. What’s the solution? Homemade, all natural, and FREE, skincare!
Something a lot of women consider, but never really follow through with is DIY skincare! Traditional, from-the-shelf products use chemicals such as Methyl, Propyl, Butyl, and Ethyl Parabens. Different combinations of these chemicals are in nearly every skin and haircare product nowadays. Seriously, check your labels! Many women report that these synthetic ingredients cause allergic reactions or irritate their skin. Companies use these because they are extremely cheap. Not to mention using these kinds of chemicals instead of perishable ingredients extends the shelf life of their products. Eliminate the possibility of rashes or reactions by making some DIY scrubs in the comfort of your own home.
Images from wideopeneats.com
The key to healthy, glowing skin is natural ingredients–ingredients that you can find in your own pantry! Not only can you create homemade face scrubs, but lip scrubs, feet scrubs, and body scrubs as well. The base of many of these scrubs are sugar or salt. Although salt should not be used on the face, it is an excellent exfoliator for the body, lips, or rougher parts of the skin. Sugar, because it is more finely granulated, is perfect for the face or more sensitive skin. Here are some easy beginning DIY scrubs to try out at home!
- Lemon Hand & Foot Scrub– Do your hands and feet ever get dry and flaky? Here is the scrub for you! Use up to three times a week to smoothen, rejuvenate, and soften your hands or feet. Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl and scrub away!
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 drops lemon essential oil (optional)
- Grapefruit Face Scrub– Grapefruit is perfect for getting the collagen flowing and avocados contain glutamine which is a natural cleanser! This face scrub has it all! Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl and scrub away!
- Juice of 1/2 of one grapefruit
- 1/2 of an avocado
- Granulated white sugar
- Sea Salt & Coconut Lip Scrub– Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer and sea salt is the perfect exfoliant! Together, they leave your lips smooth, soft, and plump. Use this when your lips are dry or peeling. Mix all ingredients in a medium size bowl and scrub away!
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 drops lavender essential oil (optional)