I’m definitely a Chipotle fan. It wasn’t until I got an apartment this year and needed to cook my own food that I realized I could make my own! This ultimately saves me money and I know the nutritional information of the food I’m eating. My DIY is slightly different, but still tastes amazing. Also, if you make enough food at once you can save the rest for a few days! This is super helpful because you already have dinner prepared for a few days and have lunch to bring with you to work or class. Not to mention it’s healthy and filling for your body!
Ingredients you need:
- Protein source: I buy raw chicken from the store and trim it myself. This takes a bit of time and it’s not the most pleasant task, but for me it’s worth it! You can also get pre-cooked frozen chicken breasts, but there may be hormones and additives in the chicken.
- Black beans: My new favorite thing. I started asking for black beans in the Chipotle line over the summer and I am now obsessed. They have a substantial source of protein, so they can also substitute for meat if necessary!
- Spinach: I dice up spinach leaves instead of adding shredded lettuce. I buy a pre-washed package at the store, which usually lasts me up to a week. Spinach is high in vitamins and is a big vegetable source.
- Corn: You can either buy frozen or canned corn. I don’t think it makes a difference!
- Bell Peppers: Just two will do. I get these in the produce section of the store. I know they don’t have diced pepper at Chipotle, but it adds another veggie source and is low calorie.
- Quinoa: I use this instead of rice. If you’ve never had it before, it’s similar to rice, but has more protein and fiber.
*Buy shredded cheese if you can’t do without it!
As you can tell, this is a protein packed meal! It’s perfect to maintain muscle tone and keep you full.
So now that you have your ingredients, it’s time to start cooking. There’s really not much cooking you need to do. Everyone cooks their chicken or protein differently, but for me it’s easiest to boil chicken on the stove top. Once the water begins to boil, I throw the chicken in the pot and cook it for about 13-15 minutes depending on the size of the chicken breasts. After their done cooking, you can pull them apart to make shreds of chicken.
There’s cooking instructions on the quinoa box that you can follow. To cook this you must have another pot of boiling water as well. This usually takes about 18-20 minutes to cook.
Once the quinoa and chicken are done cooking you can add everything together in a large mixing bowl. I take the black beans right out of the can as well as the canned corn since they don’t require cooking. Once you have all the ingredients mixed together, you now have your own homemade, protein packed Chipotle.