Photos By: Allison Weis
Fall is here. It is the time when the sound of leaves being crunched by boots fills the air. Sweaters embrace wearers in a knitted hug. It is the season for scary movies and apple cider; the time for reading books and bingeing entire shows in under a week. More than anything, autumn brings us an undeniable craving for one thing: pumpkin spice lattes.
Let’s be honest: purchasing a pumpkin spice latte as a pick-me-up can get a little expensive. That is why understanding how to make one at home can be a lifesaver. To save money and customize taste, try this recipe before wrapping up in a blanket and indulging in a steamy, hot latte.
- 1/2 cup strongly brewed coffee or espresso
- 2 c. milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar or 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/4 tbsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tbsp. vanilla extract
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- To start, heat the milk, pumpkin puree, sweetener of choice, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract together on the stove.
- After the mixture heats to the desired temperature, whisk or froth until foamy.
- Add coffee or espresso and mix.
- Add whipped cream and cinnamon sugar if desired.
This process takes about the same amount of time, or less, as going to a coffee shop and purchasing a latte. Adjust this recipe to one’s individualized taste, and in no time, you will be saving money while enjoying the fall aroma.